The Peony

Exeter’s association with the colour red originates from Sir William Petre (1505-1572), whose red arms feature on the boat club’s shield. The club blades were painted in peony red in 1823, beginning a long connection with the flower.

Peonies are worn by club coxswains on the final day of Eights.


jack russell engraving

The Jack Russell

The college has strong ties with this famous breed; Reverend John Russell bred the original dog whilst studying at Exeter in 1819. When the boat club was founded four years later, the Jack Russell became a mascot, and can be seen in crew pictures up to the present day.


The Captain's Book

The oldest continuous rowing record in the world, the Captain’s Book is a record of training, crews, and regattas, going right back to the foundation in 1823. Every captain looks after the book for their tenure, and hands it on to their successor when they stand down.

The Blazer

Exeter’s distinctive red blazers with black piping have been used back to the mid-19th century. It is worn by members who have rowed in the first boat in Eights Week. Captains are permitted to wear a second stripe on the sleeves.


medallion engraving

The Chrysanthemum Medal

Donated in 1921 by then-Crown Prince Hirohito of Japan, who visited the boat club while on a state visit. The golden medal, which displays the Japanese imperial seal, was originally worn by the coxswain of the first eight, but is now far too valuable to wear whilst racing.

The Tie

The first club ties of any sport in the world were reportedly invented at Exeter. In 1880, members of the first eight removed the ribbons from their boaters and wore them around their necks.

The Boater

Black boaters with a red ribbon have been worn by Exeter rowers since the very first race in 1824. They are a point of pride for the club, and were described by one member in the 1950s as “like the tarred ones worn by Nelson’s navy”.